Characterization of a neutron-beta counting system with beta-delayed neutron emitters
Rights accessOpen Access
A new detection system for the measurement of beta-delayed neutron emission probabilities has been characterized using fission products with well known ß-delayed neutron emission properties. The setup consists of BELEN-20, a 4p neutron counter with twenty 3He proportional tubes arranged inside a large polyethylene neutron moderator, a thin Si detector for ß counting and a self-triggering digital data acquisition system. The use of delayed-neutron precursors with different neutron emission windows allowed the study of the effect of energy dependency on neutron, ß and ß-neutron rates. The observed effect is well reproduced by Monte Carlo simulations. The impact of this dependency on the accuracy of neutron emission probabilities is discussed. A new accurate value of the neutron emission probability for the important delayed-neutron precursor 137I was obtained, Pn=7.76(14)%.
CitationAgramunt, J., Taín, J.L., Gómez, M., Calviño, F., Cortes, G., Pretel, C., Riego, A., Tarifeño, A. Characterization of a neutron-beta counting system with beta-delayed neutron emitters. "Nuclear instruments and methods in physics research. Section A, accelerators SP", 21 Gener 2016, vol. 807, p. 69.
- Departament de Física - Articles de revista [1.185]
- ANT - Advanced Nuclear Technologies Research Group - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Física i Enginyeria Nuclear (fins octubre 2015) - Articles de revista 
- INTE - Institut de Tècniques Energètiques - Articles de revista 
- NERG - Grup de Recerca d'Enginyeria Nuclear - Articles de revista