Ultrasonic vibration-assisted ball burnishing tool for a lathe characterized by acoustic emission and vibratory measurements
PublisherMultidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute (MDPI)
Rights accessOpen Access
This paper focuses on a resonant system used to induce a low-amplitude movement and ultrasonic frequency to complement a ball burnishing process on a lathe. The system was characterized through the combination of different techniques. A full vibratory characterization of this process was undertaken with the purpose of demonstrating that the mechanical system—composed of the tool and the machine—does not present resonance phenomena during the execution of the operation that could lead to eventual failure. This dynamic analysis validates the adequateness of the tool when attached to an NC lathe, which is important to guarantee its future implementation in actual manufacturing contexts. A further aim was to confirm that the system succeeds in transmitting an oscillating signal throughout the material lattice. To this end, different static and dynamic techniques that measure different vibration ranges—including impact tests, acoustic emission measurement, and vibration measurement—were combined. An operational deflection shape model was also constructed. Results demonstrate that the only high frequency appearing in the process originated in the tool. The process was not affected by the presence of vibration assistance, nor by the burnishing preload or feed levels. Furthermore, the frequency of the assisting ultrasonic vibration was characterized and no signal due to possible damage in the material of the specimens was detected. These results demonstrate the suitability of the new tool in the vibration-assisted ball burnishing process.
CitationFernández, I. [et al.]. Ultrasonic vibration-assisted ball burnishing tool for a lathe characterized by acoustic emission and vibratory measurements. "Materials", 1 Octubre 2021, vol. 14, núm. 19, p. 5746:1-5746:17.
- Departament d'Enginyeria mecànica - Articles de revista 
- Doctorat en Enginyeria Mecànica, Fluids i Aeronàutica - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Mecànica de Fluids - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Ciència i Enginyeria de Materials - Articles de revista 
- PROCOMAME - Processos de Conformació de Materials Metàl·lics - Articles de revista 
- TECNOFAB - Grup de Recerca en Tecnologies de Fabricació - Articles de revista 
- CDIF - Centre de Diagnòstic Industrial i Fluidodinàmica - Articles de revista