Influence of anthopometric variables on the mechanical properties of human rib cortical bone
PublisherInstitute of Physics (IOP)
Rights accessOpen Access
Objective. The mechanical properties of ribs from a large number of post-mortem human subjects (PMHS) were analyzed to search for variation according to age, sex or BMI in the sample. A large sample of specimens from different donors (N = 64) with a very wide range of ages and anthropometric characteristics was tested. Methods. Uniaxial tensile tests were used for a sample of coupons machined from cortical bone tissue in order to isolate the purely mechanical properties from the geometrically influenced properties of the rib. Each coupon is about 25 mm long and has a thickness of about 0.5 mm. The mechanical properties measured for each specimen/coupon include YM, yield stress, ultimate stress (maximum failure stress), ultimate strain, and resilience (energy to fracture of SED). The study provides new methodological improvements in DIC techniques. Results. This study is notable for using an atypically large sample of number of PMHS. The size of the sample allowed the authors to determine that age has a significant effect on failure stress (p < 0.0001), yield stress (p = 0.0047), ultimate strain (p < 0.0001) and resilience (p < 0.0001) [numbers in parentheses represent the corresponding p - values]. Finally, there is a combined effect, so that for a given age, an increase of BMI leads to a decrease of the maximum strain (i.e. cortical bone is less stiff when both age and BMI are higher).
CitationVelazquez-Ameijide, J. [et al.]. Influence of anthopometric variables on the mechanical properties of human rib cortical bone. "Biomedical physics & engineering express", 1 Maig 2021, vol. 7, núm. 3, p. 35013.
- Departament d'Enginyeria mecànica - Articles de revista 
- LEAM - Laboratori d'Enginyeria Acústica i Mecànica - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Ciència i Enginyeria de Materials - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Resistència de Materials i Estructures a l'Enginyeria - Articles de revista 
- PROCOMAME - Processos de Conformació de Materials Metàl·lics - Articles de revista 
- GRABI - Grup de Recerca Aplicada en Biomecànica de l'Impacte - Articles de revista