Thermal effects of a sonic jet fire impingement on a pipe
1-s2.0-S0950423021000607-main.pdf (2,980Mb) (Restricted access) Request copy
Què és aquest botó?
Aquest botó permet demanar una còpia d'un document restringit a l'autor. Es mostra quan:
- Disposem del correu electrònic de l'autor
- El document té una mida inferior a 20 Mb
- Es tracta d'un document d'accés restringit per decisió de l'autor o d'un document d'accés restringit per política de l'editorial
Rights accessRestricted access - publisher's policy (embargoed until 2023-07-01)
Although the effects of jet fires are often limited to rather short distances, if their flames impinge on a pipe or a vessel collapse can occur in very short times. In such cases, the heat flux on the affected equipment is very high and wall temperature can increase very rapidly. This can happen in parallel pipelines, if a release occurs and impinges on another one. Nevertheless, jet fire impingement has been scarcely studied. In this communication the results obtained from an experimental set-up are presented. Sonic jet fires impinged on a pipe containing stagnant air or water. The temperatures of the flames impinging on it were measured for the worst case (flame front-bright zone), as well as the evolution with time of the pipe wall temperature at different locations. Initial temperature increases up to around twenty °C/s were registered for the air inside, with maximum values of up to 600 °C reached in 2.5 min, and 800 °C in approximately 9 min. In the case of pipe containing water, in the zone of the wall in contact with the liquid the heating rates were much lower, the maximum temperature reached being up to approximately 150 °C. From the temperatures of the jet flames and of the pipe, the heat fluxes reaching the pipe and the corresponding heat transfer coefficients were obtained. The results obtained emphasized that safe distances are essential in pipelines, together with fire proofing and other safety measures.
CitationForoughi, V. [et al.]. Thermal effects of a sonic jet fire impingement on a pipe. "Journal of loss prevention in the process industries", Juliol 2021, vol. 71, p. 104449:1-104449:10.
- Departament d'Enginyeria de Sistemes, Automàtica i Informàtica Industrial - Articles de revista [1.056]
- CERTEC - Centre d'Estudis del Risc Tecnològic - Articles de revista 
- Doctorat en Enginyeria de Processos Químics - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Enginyeria Química - Articles de revista [1.708]