Introducing and Evaluating the Effective Inclusion of Gender Dimension in STEM Higher Education
Rights accessOpen Access
ProjectGEECCO - Gender Equality in Engineering through Communication and Commitment (EC-H2020-741128)
The need to incorporate the gender dimension in higher education is a central element of gender equality policies within the European Union (EU). When most institutions of higher education have already strengthened and consolidated their curricula, the next challenge is to include and ensure that all people have the same opportunities to progress in education. This study intends to incorporate the gender dimension in teaching through a guide providing recommendations for the introduction of changes that will allow its effective incorporation in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) areas. It will take into account the administration in charge of formulating policies in the field of education, the students, and, mainly, the teaching staff. Its objective is to cover aspects related to the principles of equal opportunities and gender equality in STEM higher education disciplines. For this purpose, 41 volunteer teachers from 8 degrees and master’s degrees from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya in Spain participated. To achieve the results of this study, aspects related to social and gender relevance of the subjects, inclusive methodology, classroom management and assessment were considered. As a preliminary step to the development of the guide of recommendations, a teacher’s self-assessment tool and a questionnaire for students to analyze the perception of the gender dimension were developed.
CitationPeña, M. [et al.]. Introducing and Evaluating the Effective Inclusion of Gender Dimension in STEM Higher Education. "Sustainability", 29 Abril 2021, vol. 13, núm. 9, p. 4994/1-4994/26.
- Departament de Física - Articles de revista [1.685]
- GREENTECH - Grup de Recerca en Tecnologies Renovables - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Organització d'Empreses - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Matemàtiques - Articles de revista [2.872]
- SCL-EG - Sistemes de Control Lineals: estudi Geomètric - Articles de revista 
- GIOPACT - Grup de Recerca d'Igualtat d'Oportunitats per a l'Arquitectura, la Ciència i la Tecnologia - Articles de revista 
- BCN SEER - Barcelona Science and Engineering Education Research Group - Articles de revista