Analysis of assessment tools of Engineering degrees
Rights accessOpen Access
This work presents an analysis of the assessment tools used by professors at the Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya to assess the generic competencies introduced in the Bachelor’s Degrees in Engineering. In order to conduct this study, a survey was designed and administered anonymously to a sample of the professors most receptive to educational innovation at their own university. All total, 80 professors responded to this survey, of whom 26% turned out to be members of the university’s own evaluation innovation group (https://www.upc.edu/rima/grups/grapa), GRAPA. This percentage represents 47% of the total GRAPA membership, meaning that nearly half of the professors most concerned about evaluation at the university chose to participate. The analysis of the variables carried out using the statistical program SPSS v19 shows that for practically 49% of those surveyed, rubrics are the tools most commonly used to assess generic competencies integrated in more specific ones. Of those surveyed, 60% use them either frequently or always. The most frequently evaluated generic competencies were teamwork (28%), problem solving (26%), effective oral and written communication (24%) and autonomous learning (13%), all of which constitute commonly recognized competencies in the engineering profession. A two-dimensional crosstabs analysis with SPSS v19 shows a significant correlation (Asymp. Sig. 0.001) between the type of tool used and the competencies assessed. However, no significant correlation was found between the type of assessment tool used and the type of subject, type of evaluation (formative or summative), frequency of feedback given to the students or the degree of student satisfaction, and thus none of these variables can be considered to have an influence on the kind of assessment tool used. In addition, the results also indicate that there are no significant differences between the instructors belonging to GRAPA and the rest of those surveyed.
CitationMartinez, M. [et al.]. Analysis of assessment tools used in engineering degree programs. "International journal of engineering education", 01 Octubre 2014, vol. 30, núm. 6, p. 1689-1696.
- SETRI - Grup de Tècniques de Separació i Tractament de Residus Industrials - Articles de revista 
- INSIDE - Innovació en Sistemes per al Disseny i la Formació a l'Enginyeria - Articles de revista 
- GIIP - Grup de Recerca en Enginyeria de Projectes: Disseny, Sostenibilitat i Comunicació - Articles de revista 
- TERFIQ - Grup de Termodinàmica i Fisico-Química - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Enginyeria Química - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Expressió Gràfica a l'Enginyeria - Articles de revista 
- Departament de Projectes d'Enginyeria (fins octubre 2015) - Articles de revista