Unconstrained L1-regularized minimization with interpolated transformations for heart motion compensation
Document typeConference report
Rights accessRestricted access - publisher's policy
Motion compensation constitutes a challenging issue in minimally invasive beating heart surgery. Since the zone to be repaired has a dynamic behaviour, precision and surgeon's dexterity decrease. In order to solve this problem, various proposals have been presented using l2-norm. However, as they present some limitations in terms of robustness and efficiency, motion compensation is still considered an open problem. In this work, a solution based on the class of l1-Regularized Optimization is proposed. It has been selected due to its mathematical properties and practical benefits. In particular, deformation is characterized by cubic B-splines since they offer an excellent balance between computational cost and accuracy. Moreover, due to the non-differentiability of the functional, the logarithmic barrier function is used for generating a standard optimization problem. Results have provided a very good trade-off between accuracy and efficiency, indicating the potential of the proposed approach and proving its stability even under complex deformations.
CitationAviles, A.; Sobrevilla, P.; Casals, A. Unconstrained L1-regularized minimization with interpolated transformations for heart motion compensation. A: IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. "Proceedings of the 36th. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society". Chicago: 2014, p. 5109-5112.
- ICAIB - Grup de Recerca en Intel ligència Computacional per a l'Anàlisi d'Imatge Biomèdica - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- GRINS - Robòtica Intel·ligent i Sistemes - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament d'Enginyeria de Sistemes, Automàtica i Informàtica Industrial - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament de Matemàtiques - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- IBEC - Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
|Aviles, Sobrevilla, Casals.pdf||2,772Mb||Restricted access|