Chicken feathers based biocomposites: a new sustainable product?
Tipo de documentoTexto en actas de congreso
Fecha de publicación2013
Condiciones de accesoAcceso restringido por política de la editorial
Plastic composites are made of polymers and different reinforcements that originally were synthetic and non-biodegradable. Since 1990’s, many biodegradable composites, formed by a biodegradable matrix and natural fibers, have been proposed. In spite of the advantages of biocomposites, it is important to ponder the technical drawbacks of these natural fibers, mainly from a vegetable origin, and their environmental impacts (EIs). Vegetable fibers imply a land use that can compete with food production. Chicken feathers (CFs), made of keratin fibers, are a potential alternative as they are a waste material, produced in large quantities (800,000 ton/year in EU-27), do not compete with human food production and have been scarcely used up to now. Taking on board these premises, a biocomposite made of PLA and CFs was fabricated at lab-scale as new material. However, before using CFs as reinforcement, sanitizing pretreatments have been envisaged before, due to their quick decay. The EIs of these treatments were experimentally quantified and a cradle-to-gate Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) was performed to evaluate altogether the impacts of manufacturing a technical panel with different content of CFs (up to 35% v/v). As main results, the avoided burdens of the CF waste treatment and the energy consumption for the drying step must be optimized to achieve lower EIs for the preparation of CFs/PLA composites
CitaciónMolins, G. [et al.]. Chicken feathers based biocomposites: a new sustainable product?. A: LCA Conference. "LCA Conference". 2013.
Versión del editorhttp://cataleg.upc.edu/record=b1433593~S1*cat
- SUMMLab - Laboratori de Mesura i Modelització de la Sostenibilitat - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- POLQUITEX - Materials Polimérics i Química Téxtil - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament d'Enginyeria Química - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament de Màquines i Motors Tèrmics - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- INTEXTER - Institut d'Investigació Tèxtil i Cooperació Industrial de Terrassa - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
|276_Molins_chicken feathers.pdf||352.9Kb||Acceso restringido|