Chicken feathers based composites: a life cycle assessment
Document typeConference report
Rights accessOpen Access
Chicken feathers (CFs) are a waste material generated from poultry industry in large quantities. A composite material constituted of poly lactide and CFs is proposed in order to prepare a biodegradable composite with low environmental impact. In order to evaluate its environmental impact, a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is performed. The results show that, from the environmental point of view, the more chicken feathers in the material, the greater is its impact. This is mainly due to the non - inclusion of the impact data regarding CFs current waste management treatments required in accordance with the European Directive CE 1069/2009 (in study) and to the high energy consumption of the pre - treatment stages (cleaning and sanitizing) required to transform CFs waste into a CFs technical material that can be used for the preparation of CFs/PLA composites material, which needs to be optimized.
CitationMolins, G. [et al.]. Chicken feathers based composites: a life cycle assessment. A: European Conference on Composite Materials. "Proceedings of the 15th European Conference on Composite Materials". Venècia: 2012.
- SUMMLab - Sustainability Measurement and Modeling Lab - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament d'Enginyeria Química - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- INTEXTER - Institut d'Investigació Tèxtil i Cooperació Industrial de Terrassa - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament de Màquines i Motors Tèrmics - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- POLQUITEX - Materials Polimérics i Química Téxtil - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
All rights reserved. This work is protected by the corresponding intellectual and industrial property rights. Without prejudice to any existing legal exemptions, reproduction, distribution, public communication or transformation of this work are prohibited without permission of the copyright holder