Mapping the sustainable development goals into the EDINSOST sustainability map of bachelor engineering degrees
Document typeConference report
PublisherInstitute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Rights accessOpen Access
This Research to Practice Work in Progress paper presents the work conducted on the use of the Sustainability Map of Bachelor Engineering Degrees (a tool developed by the EDINSOST project) to analyze how Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are developed in each Degree. Over recent years, there has been a growth in the importance of working sustainability based on the SDGs. To identify which learning objective of each SDG corresponds to each learning outcome of the EDINSOST Sustainability Map, a correspondence matrix has been defined. The matrix contains the learning outcomes of the EDINSOST Sustainability Map in its rows, and the 17 SDGs in the columns. The cells of the matrix contain the learning objectives of the SDGs that correspond to each learning outcome of the EDINSOST Sustainability Map. This work in progress presents the first results of the process of mapping the SDGs into the EDINSOST Sustainability Map of Engineering Bachelor Degrees. Early results show that some of the 169 learning objectives are not applicable to Engineering Degrees. Likewise, we have seen that learning objectives have been defined more for policy makers than for engineers, and therefore adaptation is not an easy task. However, the work done has helped us to verify that the EDINSOST Sustainability Map can help in the introduction of the SDGs into the curriculum.
© 2019 IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. Permission from IEEE must be obtained for all other uses, in any current or future media, including reprinting/republishing this material for advertising or promotional purposes,creating new collective works, for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or reuse of any copyrighted component of this work in other works.
CitationSánchez, F. [et al.]. Mapping the sustainable development goals into the EDINSOST sustainability map of bachelor engineering degrees. A: IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference. "FIE Cincinnati 2019: Bridging education to the future: 2019 conference proceedings". Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2019, p. 1-5.
- Departament d'Enginyeria de Sistemes, Automàtica i Informàtica Industrial - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos [1.264]
- Departament d'Organització d'Empreses - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- BCN SEER - Barcelona Science and Engineering Education Research Group - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- VIS - Visió Artificial i Sistemes Intel·ligents - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
- Departament d'Arquitectura de Computadors - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos [1.541]
- Departament d'Enginyeria Electrònica - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos [1.458]
- Departament d'Enginyeria de Serveis i Sistemes d'Informació - Ponències/Comunicacions de congressos 
All rights reserved. This work is protected by the corresponding intellectual and industrial property rights. Without prejudice to any existing legal exemptions, reproduction, distribution, public communication or transformation of this work are prohibited without permission of the copyright holder