Technical evaluation of an improved paint coating with NIR pigments designed to reduce thermal discomfort caused by incident solar radiation: application in the Caribbean area
Document typeConference report
Rights accessOpen Access
The main benefits of efficient façades and roofs are reductions in the energy consumption required for cooling during the summer and greater comfort for users. Traditional insulation is based on resistance (R) to conductive heat transfer between solid objects. However, about 93% of the gain or loss of heat from buildings is due to radiation of infrared energy; the remaining 7% is due to a combination of conduction andconvection. Therefore, we proposed the use of an anti-radiant façade and roof for the Caribbean area, based on improved paint coating systems for concrete block masonry (such as the traditional façade systemin the Dominican Republic) and for expanded polystyrenepanels (a novel façade system on the market in the Dominican Republic). The paint coating was improved by developing andapplying NIR pigments whose high reflectance parameters protect the building envelope and enhance comfort inthe home.
CitationPeña, C., Zamora, J. Technical evaluation of an improved paint coating with NIR pigments designed to reduce thermal discomfort caused by incident solar radiation: application in the Caribbean area. A: Alternative and Renewable Energy Quest. "Energy Procedia". Sant Cugat del Vallès: Elsevier, 2017, p. 463-479.