Large Stokes shift downshifting Eu(III) films as efficiency enhancing UV blocking layers for dye sensitized solar cells
Tipus de documentArticle
Condicions d'accésAccés obert
Large Stokes shift downshifting organolanthanide complex, Eu(tta)(3)phen, is examined for inclusion in polymeric layers to replace the UV blocking layer in dye sensitized solar cell (DSSC) technology. The UV blocking layer increases stability but power conversion efficiency decreases as incident UV photons are not converted into photocurrent. Eu(tta) 3phen doped polymeric film are prepared and attached to DSSC devices following optimized thickness and concentration from a ray-trace numerical model for the specific DSSC. External quantum efficiency is significantly increased in the UV spectral region compared to DSSCs utilizing a passive, non-luminescent, UV-BL. High Eu(tta)(3)phen film transparency in the visible range minimizes DSSC EQE losses at visible wavelengths. Short-circuit current (I-sc) enhancement due to downshifting is demonstrated (similar to 1%) in small-scale DSSC prototypes, where the specific geometry limits the photon collection efficiency and overall enhancement. Model predictions indicate that 2%-3% I-sc enhancement is realizable in flexible single DSSC compared to, non-luminescent, UV-BL. Added to this, in outdoor conditions taking into account diffuse light, the increment in Isc can increase 50% more. Although photostability of the blended LSS-DS polymer films is not sufficient to be useful for medium-long term outdoor PV applications, the results demonstrate that significant efficiency enhancement can be realized. (C) 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
CitacióKennedy, M. [et al.]. Large Stokes shift downshifting Eu(III) films as efficiency enhancing UV blocking layers for dye sensitized solar cells. "Physica status solidi A. Applications and materials science (Print edition)", 01 Gener 2015, vol. 212, núm. 1, p. 203-210.