Semi-dynamic leaching tests of nickel containing wastes stabilized/solidified with magnesium potassium phosphate cements
Rights accessRestricted access - publisher's policy
Herein is presented a study on the long-term leaching behaviour of nickel containing wastes stabilized/solidified with magnesium potassium phosphate cements. Two different semi-dynamic leaching tests were carried out on monolithic materials: ANS16.1 test with liquid-to-solid ratio (L/S) of 10dm3 kg−1 and increasing renewal times, and ASTM C1308 test with liquid-to-solid ratio (L/S) of 100dm3 kg−1 and constant renewal time of 1 day. ASTM C1308 provides a lower degree of saturation of the leachant with respect to the leached material. The effectiveness of magnesium potassium phosphate cements for the inertization of nickel was proved. XRD analyses showed the presence of bobierrite on the monolith’s surface after the leaching test, which had not been detected prior to the leaching test. In addition, the calculated cumulative release of the main components of the stabilization matrix (Mg2+, total P and K+)was represented versus time in logarithmic scale and it was determined if the leaching mechanism corresponds to diffusion. Potassium is released by diffusion, while total phosphorous and magnesium show dissolution. Magnesium release in ANS 16.1 is slowed down because of saturation of the leachant. Experimental results demonstrate the importance of L/S ratio and renewal times in semi-dynamic leaching tests.
CitationTorras, J. [et al.]. Semi-dynamic leaching tests of nickel containing wastes stabilized/solidified with magnesium potassium phosphate cements. "Journal of hazardous materials", 28 Febrer 2011, vol. 186, núm. 2-3, p. 1954-1960.
- SETRI - Grup de Tècniques de Separació i Tractament de Residus Industrials - Articles de revista 
- TECNOFAB - Grup de Recerca en Tecnologies de Fabricació - Articles de revista 
- ERNMA - Enginyeria dels Recursos Naturals i Medi Ambient - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Enginyeria mecànica - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Enginyeria Química - Articles de revista 
- Departament d'Enginyeria Minera i Recursos Naturals - Articles de revista